Friday, September 5, 2008

Philosophy tests your faith, really

While I heard that one of my friend has started to doubt his religion belief after taking several philosophy classes, and knowing that he is quite faithful to the religion, I did not quite believe.

Now that I have also taken a philosophy class, I knew he is telling the truth. I also started to question my intention to believe in God -
Is that I want to be engaged in a social network?
Is that I believe I can enjoy the maximum benefits just like Pascal claimed?
Or is that I just want something to believe in, for emotional comfort?
Have there been no legitimate and convincing evidence to show God's existence, why take the option to believe in God?

Think deep.
That's what I want. That's what I like.
I hate being told what to do and what is right, like in the accounting courses.
I wanna have open discussions and formation of opinion of my own.
I reckon that being told what is right based on the knowledge we have is useless - for that knowledge already exists. A bunch of students cramming materials the night before exam won't add into the pool of knowledge.
But thinker does. They created ideas. I appreciate, and admire them.

Hence I enjoy the two class here in UT. MAN374 and PHL301.
But definitely not the two accounting classes. They really sucks.
The professor just enjoy talking talking and talking, and leave no room for a single breath. He keeps urging the student to fall asleep, all the time. Oh my god.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Philosophy is not a test of faith. Reason cannot test faith. Philosophy and theology take radical position on the matter of truth. They both promise a solution to the problem of life. They are mutually the enemy of one another. Their legitimate strategy to their counterpart is just to laugh at it.

So philosophy is not a test of faith unless you distort the faith.