Tuesday, June 2, 2009

It is high time to change your PWs

You should lose no time in changing your passwords.

Recently my PayPal account established during my exchange studies in US has been hacked by some filthy little scum, who attempted to buy clothing and accessories through the complete access to my PayPal account.

Luckily, PayPal figured out the irregularity of the transaction, cancelled the transaction and frozen my account (I didn't know exactly how they come to that conclusion, but anyways, thanks PayPal)

The transaction amounted to $2,244.09 USD, which is equivalent to $17,394.56 HKD.
It is a huge sum to me; and no matter how wealthy you are, you just don't want to give a single penny to a SOB, right?!

Fortunate enough, even if PayPal didn’t spotted out the fraud, the SOB could have done no actual harm to me as my debit card has been cancelled (just recently, thanks God) and there is not a single penny left in my bank account. But nevertheless I would desire to save the trouble arguing with banks/immigration authorities when I revisit the States.

So what I am going to advise you, who is reading the post, is to

1. Change your password frequently, and to a STRONG password
2. Try not to share your PW too much (I know it is troublesome to remember so many passwords, but you should have independent passwords at least for bank accounts)
3. Keep an open eye on your online electronic bank/payment accounts

Lest you shall face the trouble I encountered. At the very least, you won't desire to be astonished by an e-mail demanding payment of several grands without your knowledge, even though you could end up losing nothing (save your brain cells).
And, The goddess of fortune won’t always be on your side.

P.S.
Nonetheless I sent an e-mail to the vendor demanding them to stop the delivery of goods. It sounds redundant, but I think it is worthy of your precious 5 minutes to save a possible costly trouble (both in terms of time and money), right?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I remembered also that an unauthorized debit of my bank account has occurred for a sum of $12 USD per month, which lasted for 3 months. You should really be vigilant of your financial stuff in US, it is a horrible place to live, T_T
And thank you Jason for assuming half of the responsibility of the first month; that lighten my burden slightly, XD

No comments: